Sunday, June 9, 2013

Family!

Yesterday, I was in Nashville trying to navigate the buses to get to my family in Owensboro, when my cousin called me and said, "You have a cousin who lives in Nashville and is headed up here in 30 minutes. He'll pick you up." I've been hitching rides with lots of strangers, and it was pretty funny to jump into the car with a stranger who was my family.Thanks David for picking me up!  You and Gabby were great company!

I have spent the last 2 days in Owensboro, Kentucky, where my Grandma Betty grew up. I spent yesterday meeting tons of family. My favorite part, was in the evening after all the parties, I sat around with my great Aunt Margaret and her kids (Kenny, Cathie and Diane), and I listened to them tell old stories about growing up. I felt so connected to and full of love for this family I haven't hardly known.

I spent the night with Cathie and Kenny, learning a new card game - and failing miserably at it! But we were full of laughter, stories and sarcasm - it felt just like home. Of all my time on the trip so far, it has been most profound and love filled to be spending it with family. Like my Aunt Margaret says, "Joy, joy, joy!"





1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you had time with the family. The Velotta Clan is awesome and I remember the great welcome we received in 1996 during the family reunion. You were 10 the first time around.

    ReplyDelete