Friday, July 19, 2013

Reclaim Your Youth

I'm reading a book right now called "The Mastery of Love."  It is a beautiful book talking about the human condition, and how to reconnect with our true, authentic selves.  And do you know what author Don Miguel Ruiz and the ancient Mexican Toltec tell us our authentic selves are . . . . . the children inside us!

This idea is a recurring theme that has come up for me over the last year.  Nearly a year ago, I attended a workshop that helped me start rekindling the relationship with that little girl inside me - and I just don't want to stop!  As children, we are free from stress, worry, and care.  If you watch children, they don't care about anybody else's opinion.  They are in tune with their physical needs and emotions, asking and expressing as they need.  We are born as innocent, loving, beautiful beings full of wonder and imagination.  The outer world changes this in us.  We need to live up to expectations, we want to impress people, we need to fit into the "rules" of life that have arbitrarily been created for us.  We are taught to fear people, fear failure, fear being alone, etc.  And we internalize those fears, and start having dangerous monologues in our own head against ourselves.

A few months ago in my blog, I posted a letter that asked, "Do you like the company you keep, even in the quiet moments?"  For a long time I didn't.  Part of my journey has been not only about seeing love in other people, but also about turning that love inwards.  Part of this journey has been to love my own company.  And a big part of that, has been re-learning how to play.  And dream.   And catch bugs, sing in front of people, do magic tricks, and laugh and cry unapologetically.

A few weeks ago in Hawaii, my 6 year old buddy Hudson said to me, "Courtney, you're not grown-up yet."  And just yesterday, my cousin said, "Courtney, what do you want to be when you grow up?"  When I grow up, I want to be a kid.

A really cool day is coming up soon - Reclamation of Youth Day.  My old roommates ex-boyfriend started this awesome tradition, boys getting together once a year to reclaim their youth.  All day long, dozens of boys converge in Bellingham to play all day.  They build forts, play ball, scream and shout. . . .and no girls are allowed! I love, love, love this tradition.  They throw away the silly stresses, to-do lists and everything that can bog us down as adults. . . .and they rekindle that loud, playful relationship with their inner-kid.  Have you played lately?

"Adulthood smells like poop - it's time to go reclaim our youth!"

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea! Being a kid is so important because there are so many worries in life. Worrying is not the best use of energy... I can vouch for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three of my friends in Bellingham have done this (one was in this video!)! But they always are talking about how much fun it was!

    ReplyDelete