Monday, July 15, 2013

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

I came into Connecticut yesterday - and have been having such a blast! I've always considered this family as my Adventurous family.  My uncle David and cousins Matthew and Jason are avid sailors and water sport-ers.  They kayak, wake board, water ski, canoe, sail, motor boat. . . . and are in the sunshine so much they all look like they live in Hawaii.  I remember family reunions, and these boys were hiking barefoot through bramble, building dams in creeks, and bear crawling to the tops of mountains.  In the last 2 days, I have already been in 4 different boats!

Yesterday was very lovely - I started off at church with Therese.  I loved her small congregation - everyone knew each other and was so nice.  After church, we all gathered under a tent for snacks and friendship.  Therese walked me around the grounds of her church - and I was amazed!  The grounds are beautiful, and the community has built the space with such intention.  A labyrinth was built to help guide meditation towards peace.  A beautiful garden is tended and harvested all for a local food pantry. This congregation used to be larger, but when debates came up regarding same sex marriage - the people were split.  The priest was pro-humanity, and so everyone against gay marriage left, leaving a beautiful group of loving, dedicated people.  Father Matt welcomed me personally during the service, and as we left he said, "Walk in Love."

After a delicious breakfast, Therese and I met David and Matthew on their big sail boat, and we took it out for the afternoon.  Matthew and I each had a turn tangling off the boat in a chair attached to the top sail.  It was so fun!!!  And very surprising when the boat would lean and you'd hit the water harder than expected.  As my feet were skimming the water and I felt like I was flying, I thought. . . . this is a life I could get used to.

Today Therese and I took some sea kayaks out for a 3 hour ride.  The weather is crazy hot out here, but on the water it's so much cooler - so we've been on the water constantly since I got here.  Our kayak ride was very relaxing - we wound through some grassy marshland, saw beautiful birds, and had lunch in Bermuda Lagoon - which wasn't as ominous as the name suggests.

After this we went to the family cottage right on the beach.  Part of the cottage had been destroyed during Hurricane Sandy, so I got to see the rebuilt porch.  The food was delicious, and the company was great.  Then Jason decided to take me for a cruise in the motor boat.  This was super fun - but I forgot that he has his dad's mischevious side, and I should have been holding on better.  A quick spin sent me flying, and I learned my lesson!  I held on for dear life, and then had a great time.  The sky was breathtakingly beautiful, and Jason even let me try my hand at driving.  After the boat, I tried to show Jason up with my rusty crew skills in the canoe. . . but he was much better than me.  Living on the water for 19 years beats out my 4 seasons of crew. . . .surprise!

I absolutely love the water - and have definitely been getting my fill.  Yesterday David said, "I don't like to watch sports.  I'd just as soon rather get out and do them."  And that is definitely how this family lives - and I love it!


Matthew in the chair that hung off the boat

The center of the meditation labyrinth at Therese's church

Birds on our Kayak trip


Jason, my boat driver

The beautiful sky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment