Saturday, April 20, 2013

Hope For Peace

My first day out and about in Denver, and at lunch, I ran into my old rowing buddy from my Freshman year of college!  She lives in Washington, and is here visiting a friend. Haven't seen her in 9 years, and we picked the same restaurant to eat at. It's a small world Ann Parker!!

And after lunch, I met a beautiful woman named Chlo.  Every week she stands in silent vigil, hoping for peace.

Chlo is part of a group called "Women in Black."  The group started in 1988 in Israel.  A group of Jewish and Arab women stood silently in public places during the Palestinian Intifada.  This now worldwide network of women are committed to peace and are actively opposed to injustice, war, militarism and other forms of violence.

"We are silent because mere words cannot express the tragedy that wars and hatred bring.  Our vigil is a way of keeping the awareness of ongoing violence in the forefront of people's minds and holding a space for the possibility of peace."

Thank you Chlo for holding that peaceful space, and standing in solidarity.  I hope for peace too!

1 comment:

  1. I like the way your eyes are open to possibilities. How many of us would have walked or drove by Chlo every day and not given her a thought... and she holds such a powerful message. Hope... it is one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete