Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Live Your Passion

While on my way home after my Denver exploration, I drove past a beautifully painted street - and my curiosity turned the car around.  I parked, and walked  into the first shop with an open sign - an art gallery.  There was a beautiful gallery upstairs, but the coolest part was the open studio policy the space holds.  All the artists have open spaces you can walk through and explore.

While I was busy taking this awesome picture in someone's space. . ..


Fate was at work and artist Lesa Webb came in.  We chatted for a second, and I asked if I could see her studio.  She has one of the furthest rooms down in the basement, and as all good artists spaces are - hers was covered with color, and paint, and inspiration!

I absolutely fell in love with her art, and the more we talked, I fell in love with her.




She is working on art for her next show called "One of Many" Visual Voices of Color in the True Essence of the West.  Her artwork is so beautiful, and so culturally in-tune.  For each show (every year or so) she focuses on one culture or a cross-cultural theme, and absorbs each style very eloquently.  Recently she did an Asian themed show, and "Masks around the world."  Now she is working on a Western theme, and she is working on a painting of African-American cowboys in the first black rodeo.  Her next project is "Children of the World."  She said "Children are so beautiful, they should be immortalized on canvas.  That's what I intend to do."

But even cooler than Lesa's fabulous artwork. . . is her story.  "When I was 5 or 6, I told my parents I was going to be an artist.  They said, 'Be a Doctor!'  But I didn't want to be a doctor.  I ended up a corporate yuppie for 20 years or so.  Then I had a heart attack and stroke, and after that, I said 'I'm gonna paint.'  And I did!  I'm a poor artist but I'm doing what I love."  Even as she told me about people who scoff and tell her to get a real job, she smiled big and said, "But, you have to follow your dream and live your passion."  Hell yes!  Rock on sister.  You inspire me!

And if you happen to be in Denver, Sept. 7, you should check out her show.  Or. . . .stop by and say hi at Artists on Santa Fe.     #LesaWebb

1 comment:

  1. Exploring art is one of the things you have always done and I am proud of you for plunging ahead with no fear. It sounds like you made another inspirational connection. It would be awesome to see Lesa Webb's show.

    ReplyDelete