Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Be brave!

My dear friend Jamie called me yesterday to let me know her dad had passed away. I have hung out with her dad a few times - and he was hysterical! He had an awesome dead pan humor, always cracking jokes with the best poker face. The first time I met him, he had drawn eyebrows (with permanent marker!) on his granddaughters cat because it was staring at him.

As Jamie's spunky dad and family are in my heart today, I wanted to share one of my favorite memories from my trip thus far. Jamie took me to the Red Rock Amphitheater in Colorado. This theater was so beautiful! You can see for dozens of miles, and the rocks are amazing. In the early morning, people use the stairs to exercise, so we did a couple sets. Being in the mile high city, it was crazy hard to breathe! While gasping for air at the top, Jamie told me all the singers she saw there - Whitney Houston, John Denver, Jimmy Buffet. I suddenly got the urge to sing - and I NEVER sing in public. I told Jamie and she said " Do it! No one will be able to hear you."

So I took my spot on the stage. There were only about 4 people working out, but I was shaking and nervy. I started belting out "Do you hear the people sing?" From Les Mis, and everyone immediately stopped working out to watch. Everyone could hear me! I guess it was an amphitheater and all. . . I was only gonna do one verse, when some bikers pulled up to listen. I decided "What the hell?" I started dancing, and sang the whole song. I stumbled over words, and cracked on every high note, but I finished with pride, and took a bow. Everyone cheered and clapped, and the bikers asked when my next show would be. On my way out the amphitheater someone said "nice concert!" I am not usually so brave as that, but Love that I was for that moment. I smiled for nearly 3 days straight after that. I usually get caught up worrying what people think, and not doing things because I'm not perfect.

Today as I remembered this, I want to remember to be brave more often. Put myself out there, and who cares what people will think.
Like my friend Jamie - you are so strong and brave, and always give me strength! Thanks for being part of my brave moment. Here's to your dad who was a brave soul, in life and death - always treading his own path. Love you friend!

Here are some pictures of the amphitheater and of my singing debut.









1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful celebration of life. It is sometimes hard to remember to be thankful for the time we had when we feel cheated out of all the times we could have had. Warm thoughts to Jamie and her family as they deal with the loss of her father.

    ReplyDelete