Tuesday, May 7, 2013

LOVE your body!!

Today I went to yoga (a more and more recent pattern for me).  My teacher this morning began our class by talking about "Astaya."  This is one of the limbs of yoga, one of it's pillars of meditation, and it means: Non Stealing.  When you are in a state of Astaya, you are not stealing from others, and you are not stealing from yourself.  When you sit and compare yourself to others, when you envy and desire to have. . . his hair, her legs, his butt, her smarts. . . .you are stealing from yourself the knowledge that you are beautiful and whole.  It is ok to admire someone for what and who they are, but the minute you start to envy that, you shortchange yourself, and steal that other person's aura too.  Our yoga teacher talked about when you are in Astaya, and only taking what you need for yourself to be full and happy (not taking anyone else's inventory of their happiness, their motivations, their looks. . . . .only taking the water and air and food that you need to sustain your healthy self), we also move into gratitude.  We become grateful for ourselves and the things we do have.  In our yoga practice today, she reminded us to only move how our body needed. "Don't stare at your neighbor and become envious of their pretzel twisty move or their tight ass.  Listen to your body.  Take and do only what you need, don't try to steal the ability of others - it will only hurt you."

My teacher, Julia, told us a story about her 85 year old mother. She was hospitalized yesterday, and in the hospital room was stripped naked and laying in front of 3 doctors.  Julia said she stood there, embarrassed for her mothers sagging breasts and wrinkled stomach.  Embarrassed that so many people were looking at her imperfect, old body.  But then she looked at her mother's face, and realized she was completely comfortable in her own skin.  She smiled at everyone, and was not worried about what everyone was thinking.  Julia realized her mother was in a state of Astaya, grateful and happy in her own skin.  Julia ended class saying, "I hope I don't wait until I'm 85 to be comfortable in my own skin."

I also hope it doesn't take me that long. I have battled many years hating my body, looking in the mirror with disgust and mean comments.  Now, I think back to those things I told myself and I wonder how I ever could have treated myself so cruelly.  I never would say those things to anyone else, so why did I say them to myself?  I have done a lot of hard work this last year - work on growing into myself and loving myself.  Today I can say that I do accept my body.  Hell, today, I LOVE my body.  And when days aren't as meditative and peaceful as this one, I will fight away the terrible lies my mind allows to creep in, and I will remember Julia's Grandma.  And my Grandma.  And I will remember that life is to short to wait until I am 85 to be free in my own skin.

To everyone out there, men and women, who have struggled with your body. . .listen to this song.  It's written for girls, but I think men need this too.  I hope you can love your body today (and tomorrow infinity!) like your mother loved your baby feet.


1 comment:

  1. Heres a topic where I find struggle. I love it that you are finding your way out. Its part of this amazing journey you have been on this year. I love it as you live it.

    ReplyDelete