Sunday, May 19, 2013

Don't Say Hate

Last night, I went to an intense and amazing play at the San Pedro Play House in San Antonio.  It was called Spring Awakening, a coming of age story.  As I sat down in the theater, I immediately got goose-bumps and tears.  This coming of age play was about child abuse, rape, abortion, suicide, gay youth - and the general pain and confusion of growing up.  I wish you were there.  It was such an important play, that every person should see.  The play showed the ways that teachers and parents think they know whats right, trying to create model citizens of youth - while in the process scarring, scaring, and hurting kids' truths.  Not talking about sex because it might cause kids to go have it - and then when they are faced with it, they are confused and vulnerable.

At the end of the play, there was a panel discussion packed with activists and advocates.  After that heavy play, I needed some take aways.  What is the hope?  With all that pain out there, what can we do?  There were messages of hope, of education, of listening.  One woman said, "It can be easy to experience this play, and go back to your life and ignore it.  This was uncomfortable and hard."  But to make a change, we have to acknowledge the discomfort, let it settle, and decide to do our small piece about it.  It just takes one person to start the ripple.

After the panel, questions were opened up to the audience.  The first man to speak, unfortunately, was a man  who said, "Do you think that suicides among gay youth are not because of society's fault, but because of the empty and meaningless lifestyle they lead? All the partners they have in their bed?"  That statement is what blows my mind.  I don't understand why there is even an issue of non-acceptance for gay people in our society.  How does the world not understand the discrimination?  But his statement went even further.  He had just watched a play, learning about true stories of kids who were gang raped and murdered for being gay.  Kids beaten and publicly humiliated. How can he not acknowledge society's place in that?  While I wanted to cry and yell, an amazingly brave woman named Lynn stepped up to the microphone.

She told her story, yes she is gay, and YES  her life is jam packed FULL of meaning and beauty.  She talked about her children that she and her partner adopted - they were abused and broken boned from their heterosexual parents.  She bravely stood there talking about the good, beautiful, important life she leads with her family - and how mis-perceptions like the one that man held are hurtful and hateful.  She sat down to a roaring applause.  After the panel, she was flooded with hugs and handshakes.  My friend Courtney and I stayed to talk with her and her partner - and they were amazing!

"We don't want special rights.  We just want equal rights."  Amen sister!  I can get so frustrated thinking "If you don't like the gay life style, than don't you be gay.  But what gives you the right to treat people with hate and closed doors?  What gives you the right to dictate who a person can love and how?"  I asked them what can we do?  How do we help make a change?  And Clarissa said, "We help people see by showing our truths."  Lynn and Clarissa were the first gay couple in San Antonio to adopt from this Christian adoption agency. The agency told them that they completely changed their minds about gay couples.  They see what amazing parents and people they are.  Pioneers!!!!  By showing their truths, they can help make waves of change.  I also learned that San Antonio is home to the biggest amount of gay adoptions!  Huzzah!  Glad to be spending time in this hub right now.

In the end, the message they left me with was "Don't Say Hate."  To the world, they want to say that Hate is real, and it does kill people.  So, hey ya'll.. . . . .let's LOVE instead!!

Click here  for a small clip I took of a CASA advocate telling us to be a voice in our community.

Click here for a link the play gave out - a packet for parents, teachers, advocates. .. .learning the statistics and what to do about them.



A beautiful, powerful, loving, empowering, courageous couple.  I feel blessed that I met them on my journey!

A picture of the Panel and actors

Here is Clarissa - bravely standing and sharing her truths!!

3 comments:

  1. It was our pleasure meeting you, Courtney!:D
    I have to say that Lynn was the one with courage who stood up, not Clarissa. Love is about LOVING and LEARNING and we have been blessed to have LOVED and continue to LEARN from one another for 23 years and many more years to come. Peace and God Bless! As a good friend of mine says, "JUST LOVE!"
    Hugs, Clarissa & Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn and Clarissa. . . .sorry about the name mix up!!!! My friend Courtney and I left and as soon as we did, I realized I couldn't remember. So we guessed. Sorry!!!! I fixed it. And just know that even though I wrote the name wrong, the power of witnessing that moment is still profound. Thanks for sharing the love!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the kind of story that I would love to share with my SOCC friends. (We are always questioning the way things are and equity is the ideal. I love the fact that someone addressed the man and made the move to interrupt oppression. I like that phrase a lot but it is not always so easy to do. A daily struggle but I for one will make the goal of not saying hate. It is such a powerful word. Thanks for sharing the love.

    ReplyDelete