Monday, May 6, 2013

To Sir, With Love

This weekend, my friend took me to an event at her school.  She works for 2 private schools, and is in charge of getting the kids to volunteer throughout the community. I have always said that when I teach, I want it to be with at-risk kids, in poor neighborhoods - work with the kids who really need to have passionate, inspired teachers.  Help the kids that really need to find motivation. You know, "Stand and Deliver" and "To Sir, With Love" . . . those kind of teachers.  But, in the past few years, through conversations and experience - I now understand the equally important necessity of working with wealthy kids.  These kids with money are going to be the next leaders of the world.  They will have the resources and connections to make change, and they need teachers to inspire and guide them.  A friend I met yesterday said, "I take it on as my duty to ensure my students don't become the next Dick Cheney's." And, in the end, every child (wealthy or not) deserves passionate and inspired teachers.  

My friend works in a private school - very different from her roots of teaching in a rough and tumble urban school - and she is having an important impact in this community. 

To the many important teachers in my life who have inspired me . . . .

To my Dad who taught me about diversity and being non-judgemental.  And to my Dad whose patience and dedication I continually am in awe of and aim to have.  
To my Papa, whose stories about fighting for what's right inspire me to be an activist
To my Aunt Marianne, whose enthusiasm and passion make me excited for getting my future job
To Mrs. McIntyre, who read me Louis Sachar and made me fall in love with literacy.
To Kristen French, who inspires me to change the world.
To Marsha Riddle-Buly, who opened the door for me, and challenges me to keep learning. 
To Courtnie, who taught me how to be silly and not take myself to seriously. 

And to all the other teachers - I can't begin to name you all. Wealthy or at-risk, every child deserves to be inspired and encouraged by teachers like I have had. 

If you have a few minutes, watch this video about another inspiring teacher.
Click Here!

1 comment:

  1. You are really lucky to have been surrounded by amazing and inspiring teachers. Count yourself in that group. YOu are such a natural with kids.

    ReplyDelete