Saturday, July 13, 2013

I Have a Dream

Yesterday, I spent my last day with Debra and Chuck, and they took me to my favorite city - DC!  I only had a few hours before I had to catch a bus, but we were able to cram so much in!

We started at Arlington Cemetary, where we visited the Kennedy's and the grave of the unknown soldiers.  This grave was really moving because there is always someone on guard, protecting and honoring all unnamed soldiers.  We saw the changing of the guard, and it felt very important watching them.   I felt like it is a very moving way to forever honor the fallen men and women whose families don't have a grave to visit. 

Next, we sprinted to the Lincoln Memorial where I wanted to visit MLK Jr. I stood where he gave his "I have a dream" speech, and I listened to his speech as I stood there.  It was so  powerful to connect with him and history in that way.  And as I listened to him speak about his dream of a world where one day, black and white people can stand hand in hand . . . I looked out at the throngs of people, dozens of races in the same space, I saw black and white holding hands. Standing in the shadow of Lincoln, hearing the words of Martin Luther King, and seeing his dream in front of me . . . That was a pretty powerful moment.  It energized me with the need to be part of his important work.  "In spite of the difficulties  and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream."  I want to still hold onto dreams, even when life can get hard.  

After this, we saw the new MLK Jr. Memorial statue, and then off to the depression era.  FDR's memorial was very cool. It was a walk through his terms as president, with statues and quotes from each term. His words were pretty inspirational, and the monument was very moving. 

Chuck and Debra were such good sports, sprinting around with me so I could get my fill of inspiration.  With a quick sprint to the bus station, I was on my way!  Thank you Debra and Chuck, for taking such good of me, spoiling me, and teaching me so much.  Until next time!

Changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown

Marks the spot MLK Jr. Stood for his speech


"Out of a mountain of despair, a stone of hope"

Me and FDR

The bread line


Me, Debra and Chuck on my way to the bus

What's your dream?

No comments:

Post a Comment