Wednesday, July 24, 2013

kambupuSpI

While visiting New York, I got to stay with one of my very favorite families, the Subaiyas.  I met them last year while nannying for their grandson in Boston, and I finally just now took them up on their offer to stay with them in New York.  

Sheila and Paul are such wonderful and fascinating people - I could listen to their stories for days.  They fed me delicious authentic Indian food, and taught me to eat with my fingers - I need lots more practice with that one.  Paul took me to church, and I taught Sheila how to play Candy Crush saga.  

I met their beautiful aunt - Auntie, and I spent one evening learning all about Hinduism.  I learned a little Sanskrit (kambupuSpI means love in case you were qondering) and watched some Bollywood.  

My favorite part was calling Elizabeth on Skype and letting her meet the family.  Together Elizabeth and I learned about a Hindu tradition to honor the deity of wealth and prosperity, Elizabeth got to share some of her art with the family, and  Sheila gave Elizabeth a few wedding presents from her prayer room.  It was such a fun night, and I love that my sister could be part of it.  

My stay was altogether too short, and I can't wait to be back again!  Thank you Paul and Sheil a for all your generosity and sharing so much with me.  Blessings to you and Auntie!

Sheila showing me the prayer room

No comments:

Post a Comment