Monday, July 8, 2013

Rocky Mount

My days have been so full of travelling!  After flying to DC from Seattle, I had to catch a train to North Carolina.  My train was delayed, and delayed and delayed!  I spent some quality time in Union Station befriending a police officer - and a crazy pigeon that was either trying to attack me or mate with me. I finally got to my cousins Kim and Zach in Rocky Mount, NC by 3:30 am.

After some much needed recovery sleep, I woke up at 2 the next afternoon.  We have been playing games, talking, eating NC style BBQ (everyone's BBQ is so different!), visiting a fire station museum (where the old school fire engine's blew my mind!) and going on a walk in the park to chase ducks and turtles.  Tonight we saw the movie World War Z, and it has me feeling like I should go to a zombie survival boot camp. . . .just to be safe.

Kim and Zach are doing so well here!  It's been awesome to hear how amazing Kim has done with her job in Teach for America.  Kimberly is someone who I have always said I could use a crash course in gumption and grit from - so it is no surprise that she easily garnered the respect from all her students and staff.  And Zack graduated top of his class at his training course for Basic Law Enforcement Training (which he got full sponsorship for!).  Now he is just going through the interview process.

Super proud of both these people, and am glad I can spend time in their new home!

And since I still don't have a phone, and can't take pictures. . . . . .

Here we are playing cards.  Zach put on a smile just for this picture.  Really. . . .he was crying because I whooped him.



Here is the old Fire Truck we saw at the museum.


Here are the turtles we were chasing around the pond


And here are the zombies we saw tonight

1 comment: