Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Smell of Memories

Two days ago, when I was back in Washington for my 2 day layover, I got some much needed family time.  I got to spend the 4th of July with my Cline Family - playing volleyball, watching fireworks, and getting pelted with candy from parents on the deck (a very dangerous activity for those - like me!- without insurance).  I spent the evening around the fire, catching up with family.

On Friday, I had a beautiful, surprise evening.  As my Grandma Karen came over, and I was learning a bit about my family history from Zwingle, Iowa - my last stop on this trip.  I wanted to know more!! So my mom and I headed over to my grandma's house to unearth some memories - we pulled out a box of letters and old pictures, photo albums, and old family documents.  I love the smell of memories!  It was so wonderful to sit there, 3 generations of women, enjoying the evening connecting with our history.

I love learning about where I come from - this is the second time this trip I have had this experience.  There is something so connecting and grounding in it for me.  And I loved that evening with 2 of my favorite women.  We laughed, read letters from my great, great grandma, and reminisced.  I love hearing stories about my ancestors.  My Grandma Karen is one of my favorite people, and I love being around her.  She is so fun to be around - I always feel like I can be my silly, true self around her - no pretenses.  And I love the memory of that night, listening to her read letters from her mother.  And watching her delicately hold pictures from her past.

I am so excited to explore this part of my family in Zwingle!!
                                                                   
Me and Grandma, looking through the family Bible               A list of marriages in our family
               

 My Great, Great, Great, Great Grandparents             A dance card and poem from my Great Grandma
                   


My Great Grandma Ethel Estella                      Ethel Estella's H.S. Diploma, she graduated at 14!
   





3 generations of amazing women!                                      The awesome old books
 

                                                     Me and my Beautiful Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment