Sunday, July 28, 2013

Zombies and stewardship

Late Wednesday night, my mom flew into town to partake in my Iowa adventure. We went to Zombie burger for a late dinner, and had fun eating the crazy zombie named food, and writing a poem about my burger for the resturaunt.  My burger was called "Undead Elvis" and had peanut butter, fried bananas, Baccon, and an egg.  I had to try it because of how ridiculous it sounded.  It was good one bite, then weird the next - so I left unable to decide my judgment.

On Thursday, after staying at Hotel Annie, we drove up to see our friends Steve and Mary Hinderhofer, 2 of the most faithful and giving souls I've ever known.  We met these two many years ago building houses in Mexico.  The second year we went down with them, we were there when Steve proposed to Mary.  And now they have 3 kids! We haven't seen these guys in 4 years, and now they have a houseful.  

It was great to catch up, play with all their adorable kids (Tommy, Manny and Danny), and be part of some of the amazing stewardship Steve has dedicated his life to.  Steve started an organization called "2 Coats," and it is a community support system.  The idea is that everyone has 2 coats, and can always spare one for someone in need.  This is then generalized to everything in life.  People have stuff, time and talent they can spare and share.  

As we all were hanging out in the house, 2 different neighbors stopped by to give them food, stuff they made or stuff from the garden - and we were so surprised!  Their community is so giving, and Steve says that happens all the time.  The world should be following the example of this small town of Grundy Center, Iowa.  

Steve also started a community garden, where he invites the community to help and harvest, and then he cooks food and they share meal.  As I weeded alongside Steve, I realized how much I missed working alongside him.  His energy, his passion, his devotion and love for community and God . . . He's one of those guys that inspire you to be a better person.  Plus he has a contagious giggle.  

It was so awesome to spend time with these friends.  They have a beautiful family, and are amazing parents, and I can't wait to see (and come back to experience!) the difference they will make in the world. 

At Zombie Burger in Des Moines

Our poem about my burger

The beautiful Hindys, they are loved and Wanted!

Steve cooking food in the garden

No comments:

Post a Comment