Saturday, June 15, 2013

CatherineAngelo

I have a lot of family in Kentucky, but the person I've always known best is Cathie. She has come out to visit Seattle several times, and I was pen pals with her for a minute in 5th grade. I always remember her being a super cool adventurer - and so, on this trip to Owensboro, I touched base with her.

In hanging out with Cathie for a week, I discovered that she still is a rad adventurer, but that she's also a pretty amazing person. In the first few days we discovered we have a lot in common - from our adventurous souls and short hair, to our oldest-sibling-care-taking syndromes.

I came in to Kentucky expecting a fun week with family, and Cathie gave me so much more than that! Not only did I have a blast with everyone, but Cathie taught me a ton about our family history, and I became completely inspired by her strength and giving spirit.

I came on this journey to find some inspiration, to learn more about seeing the love and hope in every day life - and my time in Kentucky gob-smacked me with everything I had been searching for. Cathie nurtured my adventurous soul with stories and helped me capture my first lightening bug. In late night talks over wine and pictures, Cathie connected me to my history in ways I hadn't before. She instilled in me a pride in, as she said, "my DNA." And Now I'm chomping at the bit to keep learning more!

But the most powerful thing Cathie showed me this week, was unconditional love and complete devotion. Her brother Kenny had a stroke 2 months ago, and was just released from rehab last week. In the middle of a load of work she had to do for school, she had me as a guest and Kenny to care for. But she believed there was a reason I showed up at this time, and so we became a little family.

All through the week, I was so touched by the little moments shared between Cathie and Kenny - the way they laughed together, her patience and diligence with his therapy, her dedication in taking over his financial and medical needs, and the way they called each other twins.

One night, Cathie and Kenny shared a moment that will stick with me forever. Cathie began telling the story of her time getting her PHD, when she hit a writer's block. Kenny supported her, talked through her ideas, and encouraged her. He began calling her CatherinAngelo - he had complete faith in her! During her dissertation party, Kenny had shirts made that said CatherineAngelo, and had a statue of the Pieta of Michael Angelo -which signifies Complete Devotion.

Then Cathie told the story of Kenny's stroke. Easter Weekend, Kenny was supposed to be at a family event Saturday night, but didn't show up. On Easter Sunday, when Kenny still wasn't there, the family began to worry, and in the afternoon they went to check on him. Cathie found him in his bed, unable to talk or move his right side. The only thing he had on, was his CatherineAngelo shirt.
This was her sign that he was speaking to her, that he needed complete devotion.

Kenny hadn't remembered wearing that shirt, but he told Cathie he had been in his house alone since Friday night. His bedroom showed signs that he had changed his clothes during his stroke - and neither Cathie nor Kenny could figure out how he had done this with his non-working right side. But he managed to choose that shirt and get it on, which Cathie now has folded right next to hers. And she is Completely Devoted to him. I absolutely know some Divine Intervention is at work with these 2 beautiful people. It was one of the most profound moments of my life to share that with them - to witness Kenny learning how he spoke to her with that shirt, and to be present for their pain, love, and hope.

Every single day I was with them, they repeated and lived their mother's favorite saying "Joy, joy, joy!" There is so much to celebrate with these 2 - joy that Kenny is here, joy that these 2 have each other, joy that they have a loving family and a strong faith. And so much joy that I could be there! And make new strong friendships with my family.

Cathie - thank you for taking care of me. Thank you for sharing your home and life with me. Thank you for inspiring me! And sharing those vulnerable moments and all your love. I have a few amazing idols in my life, and CatherineAngelo is absolutely one of them!





1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful family! I am so glad you were able to share in the joys and the sorrows. that is how we learn about ourselves and how we fit in the world. True devotion. I am so glad Cathie has Kenny... and Kenny has Cathie.

    ReplyDelete