Friday, June 7, 2013

Nashville!

I came to Nashville to hang out with my old college friend Gaby. Little did I know that I stumbled into town the day of the CMT music awards, and the week of CMA fest! Tennessee is so beautiful! I spent Wednesday morning roaming around cute neighborhoods, and the evening outside the CMT music awards. Gaby had tickets inside, and I thought I might catch some live music at a pub or something. But outside the awards, there was a jumbo tron broadcasting the show, and then a couple artists came outside to perform for us on the street. So I stayed for the party! People were pumped up about country music like I have never seen before. I didn't actually know either of the guys who came out to perform. . .but I became a fan. The show was pretty impressive and very theatrical. While I waited for Gaby, I roamed the streets and encountered the best hillbilly band I've ever seen with a woman whose spoon skills I envy.

Thursday I headed a bit south to Franklin, Tennessee, to catch up on my civil war history. I went to a beautiful plantation that was caught in the middle of the Battle of Franklin in 1864, and the house became a hospital for wounded soldiers.

Friday I decided to venture around downtown Nashville, forgetting that this week was CMA fest, meaning thousands of people had flocked to the downtown area for country music madness. I worked my way through the crowds for an hour before I gave up. I have never listened to much country music, and in Nashville, I decided it's pretty great road trip music. I also think I listened to more country in 3 days than I have in the last 2 years put together.

It was so fun getting to hang out with Gaby and catch up on old friends. Thanks for letting me surprise show up on your doorstep Gaby! And if you see Garth Brooks, give him my number!











1 comment:

  1. That seems like fun energy to be swept up into, but re: Garth Brooks... brilliant singer/songwriter but kinda whines in interviews.

    ReplyDelete