Wednesday, June 12, 2013

My DNA

This weekend, Cathie took me around Owensboro, Kentucky to give me a tour through my family's history here. I got to visit my Great Grandma and Grandpa Velotta's graves, and the graves of their children, siblings and parents. It was so powerful for me to be standing in front of my Great Grandma. I've met her only a handful of times, but the stories I know of her could fill days.  My strongest memory of grandma was when I was in 6th grade.  We came here for a reunion, and she was showing us all the dolls her house.  I distinctly remember how careful and loving she was with each doll.  When I was in Austin 2 weeks ago, I had bought a little travel doll to protect me on my travels.  In my head, I said, "I don't really need this doll. . .."  but I felt compelled to buy it anyway.  As we pulled up to Grandma, I knew that the doll was meant for her.  I left the doll with Grandma, for it to watch over her in her travels through heaven, and I told Grandma that it's up to her now to look over me. 

After this, I got to see the plot of land where my Grandma Betty grew up - the house has since been taken down.  But Cathie gave me an imaginary tour through all the rooms.  I saw my Great Aunt Cora Lee's old house, places where Cathie grew up and did paper routes, old stores the families used to go to - but my 2nd favorite stop after the cemetery was seeing the church where my Papa and Grandma were married.  St. Stephens Cathedral.   It is so beautiful!!  I loved walking down the isle where I knew my grandma had walked. 

After our history tour, I got to meet more family!  I went to my cousin Steven's house on his lake, and from there we went to Brenda's Lake property and grilled up some hot dogs.  I also got my first ride on a jet ski!

I just had a conversation with Cathie last night about how profound this experience has been for me - to be in the space where my history is, and meeting this amazing family that I've never really hung out with.  This past week has been very grounding for me.  I feel more grounded, more rooted in pride for who I am and where I come from. . ..like Cathie said, "Getting to know your DNA."  I love it!!!  







No comments:

Post a Comment