Saturday, June 1, 2013

Teatro de ARTES

Last week, I spent time in my old home of Seguin, TX. When I originally moved there with Cris 2 years ago, I didn't like it at all! But, once I finally decided to be a part of things, it grew on me (surprise!). It made me smile to be back in Seguin, remembering driving those roads every day for a year. And most of that year in Seguin, I spent at Teatro De Artes De Juan Seguin - a local non-proft that teaches and shares Mexican cultural arts with the community. I have so many amazing memories in that building!! Watching little kids play accordion, dancing to Conjunto music, planning fancy Gala dinners and fundraisers, watching kids dance Ballet Folcolrico, painting a mural, and teaching art camp. Last year, Cris ran an art camp at Teatro, and I worked as the "Curriculum Director," and I got to hire my best friends as my teachers.

My sister Elizabeth, and one of my best friends Ren, came down to be part of the camp. Their significant others, Russell and Brian, also came down to be part of the experience. For 2 weeks, we converted our home into an Artist Hippie Commune - teaching during the day, and in the evening we played, danced, Barbequed, floated the river. . . . .and stayed up late at night practicing our lessons for the next day. AND. . . .we also painted a mural. Elizabeth was the head artist in charge, designing a mural to honor and represent Teatro's 30 years in the community. We all stayed late every night to help paint the beautiful mural. Those 2 weeks were filled with so much laughter, teamwork, love, and art. And making a difference in kids lives! It was so powerful, and will always be one of my favorite memories. Cris is running this art camp again next week, and needed help with some detail work. It felt like home being back in that space, working and creating something for kids. I also got to be in on a community meeting on re-districting. Vickie, who co-founded Teatro, is a great force in the community, working an educating for social change. It was cool to hear some of that change in the works!

I love you Teatro! Cris, I wish you the best with camp next week. I know you will welcome and inspire all the kiddos that come through that door. 



1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got to visit your old stomping grounds. I love the mural.

    ReplyDelete