Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cicada Country

It has been so nice to spend the last 5 days with my family in New Jersey. My favorite spot has been their backyard on the swing - where I spent a lovely afternoon with Jenny, I read my book, watched bunnies hopping across the yard, and watched the crazy world of Cicadas!

Normally, I am my a bug fan. I usually cringe and back away. But Jenny showed me a very cool video about these bugs, and their amazing life cycle fascinated me.
This breed - Brood 2 - lay their eggs in branches. The young larva hatch and fall to the ground, burrowing 8 inches into the ground, where they stay for 17 years until the come out en mass - just for an 8 week period.

I arrived near the end of their time above land, and I was obsessed with searching for them! I've hunted through all the trees, played with the bugs with Kieran, and watched numerous things about them. One of the most interesting facts to me, is that these bugs are harmless. They have no defense, they survive by predatory fatigue. This means they come out in the billions, and all the predators can't possibly eat them all - so they survive!

In 17 years, I want to come back when they start their journey out of the ground!

This is the really cool video Jenny shared with me.
 



Here are the bug skins they shed.  They are attached to everything - and look just like live bugs!


Up Close. . . .

Kieran and I were eating the bugs.  They are a delicacy that only come once every 17 years. . . .





Kieran is showing off the talents of Cicada's to stay alive after being half eaten.  Crazy!

1 comment:

  1. I don't know.... as amazing as they are, I still wouldn't like them swarming out like that even if it is only for six weeks. I would hate accidentally stepping on them.

    ReplyDelete