Friday, June 14, 2013

Joy, joy, joy!

After being around my history in Owensboro - Cathie, Kenny and I headed to Lexington (horse Capitol of the world!) where Cathie lives. During the day, while Cathie worked, Kenny and I went on lots of adventures.

On Monday, we went to the Keeneland Racetrack, The Woodford Reserve Bourbon Distillery, and we found ourselves a castle! Tuesday we headed to Frankfort to see the Capitol and a delicious bourbon ball candy factory. We were amazed at the beautiful Capitol - everything was made of marble, a Lincoln statue stood importantly in the middle, and a huge 30 foot flower clock was outside. Wednesday we spent the day at the famous horse park, where we met Derby Winners, befriended a golf cart driver named Jerry, and we snuck into the kids barn after it was closed and played around. Thursday we got to see the campus where Cathie works, where we rubbed Daniel Boone's toe for good luck. We headed to a little craft town for lunch, and on the way we saved a turtle crossing the road. And then today we grabbed lunch and saw Henry Clay's grave - it's enormous!!

Phew! We did so much! It was so cool to hang out with him this week. He has a great sense of humor and we were always laughing about something - mostly him egging me on to break the rules and me nearly getting in trouble every time. He also is a pretty inspiring guy, with a twinkle in his eye and a contagious zest for life. Thanks for sharing your beautiful spirit with me Kenny! You brought so much joy to my week, and my life! Joy, joy, joy! Can't wait to see you again soon.













2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really fun time. I read something about someone being kicked out of the castle. Is this true or just a rumor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Castle was for guests only, and Kenny and I wanted to see it so we snuck on the property. While I was peeking in windows, Kenny went up to the top floor and a lady came out on the balcony and told him to leave. We looked around for another 15 minutes after that though. It was too cool to leave!
    That would have been a good compromise castle for you, since Ireland is a bit far.

    ReplyDelete